Are you also considering switching to green tea? Green tea is quite a buzz these days. It is deemed a healthy beverage, and a lot of people consume it for its health benefits.
You must be wondering what the right procedure for preparing green tea is. We have got it all researched and covered for you in this article. Keep reading to find out how you can make your cup of green tea at home. Apart from that, we have also got a few tips for you to brew your green tea perfectly.
3 Easy Methods To Prepare Green Tea
Here are three common, as well as simple ways of making green tea at home. All you need to do is to follow a few steps and your green tea will be ready in no time.
1. Preparation of Green Tea Using Green Tea Bags
You will find it quite easy to prepare green tea. All you need to do is follow a few simple steps, and voila!
While preparing the tea, keep in mind that if you steep the tea leaves in water that has a temperature of more than 90°C, your green tea will become bitter. Try steeping it in water that is not very hot. Below are the steps for green tea brewing with leaves.
- Take the number of teaspoons in accordance with the number of cups of green tea you want to make. Take one teaspoon for one cup of green tea, three teaspoons for three cups of green tea, and so on.
- Put your tea leaves in a strainer or sieve and put it aside.
- The next step is to prepare water for your green tea. Use a pot or pan and pour some water into it. Heat the water but do not let it boil. Keep the temperature somewhere between 80 ℃ – 85 ℃.
- If you use boiling water, it can cause your green tea to taste unpleasant.
- In case your water starts boiling, don’t worry! You can wait for it to cool down a little.
- Grab the strainer with green tea leaves and place it over your mug.
- Pour the water that you heated through the sieve. In order for the tea to get infused into water, let the sieve sit for 2 – 3 minutes.
- To make sure that you like the flavor of your green tea, keep checking its taste every now and then during the last step. Some people prefer their green tea strong, while some may not.
- When you find the taste of your tea perfect, remove the strainer from the mug. And there it is- your cup of green tea waiting for you to sip on it.
Tip: You can add a teaspoon of honey to your green tea to improve its taste.
2. Preparation Of Green Tea Using Tea Bags
Tea Bags are convenient and travel-friendly. It is like carrying your tea with yourself wherever you go. In order to prepare your instant green tea using green tea bags, you need to follow these simple steps.
- Heat some water without letting it boil. Again, make sure that the temperature of the water is around 80 – 85 ℃
- Place the green tea bag in your mug. You can use one tea bag for one cup of green tea. Place one tea bag in your teacup.
- Next, pour the heated water into the mug.
- Steep the tea for nearly two minutes if you prefer a lighter flavor. In case you like your green tea strong, let the tea bag sit for about 3 minutes. Make sure not to brew your green tear for more than 3 minutes. Doing so will make your tea taste bitter.
- The next step would be to remove the teabag from your mug. Try not to waste and let the excess tea drip into your cup. Discard the tea bag or reuse it if you feel you can.
- Enjoy your freshly brewed green tea!
Tip: Try not to squeeze your tea bag hard since doing so will turn your green tea bitter.
3. Preparation Of Green Tea Using Green Tea Powder
You can easily find green tea powder in the market. Using the method given below, you will be able to prepare it with ease.
- Using a stainless-steel pot or bowl, heat some water. Remember that it is not to be boiled.
- The next step is to add the green tea powder to the heated water. Let it soak for about 3 minutes. You can keep checking the taste of your green tea this while to see if it tastes fine for you.
- After waiting for 3 minutes, you will notice a change in the color of your green tea. It will turn brown.
- Pour the tea into your cup using a strainer. If you like, you may add honey to it for better taste.
- That’s it! Your green tea is ready!
The Right Way To Brew Green Tea
To get the right taste of green tea, here are some tips and tricks you could try.
- Make sure the quality of water that you are using is good. It would be nice to use filtered water.
- We cannot stress enough on sticking to the right temperature of water while making green tea. Your water temperature must be around 85 ℃ to ensure a good taste of green tea.
- Never exceed brewing your green tea for more than 3 minutes. Doing so will result in a bitter-tasting, unpleasant green tea.
- You can use some other healthy ingredients with your green tea as well to make it fun. You could try adding cinnamon or other such spices to it for an enhanced flavor.
Benefits Of Drinking Green Tea
As per a few studies, green tea may have a little bit of a role in weight loss. However, it might not be significant. There are various other benefits that green tea offers. This study suggests that green tea has a substantial role in reducing cholesterol levels.
Apart from that, green tea is also said to decrease fatigue and stress. However, more clinical trials are required to back these theories. Green tea is quite rich in antioxidants, such as polyphenols. They can reduce inflammation. The study also suggests that green tea has anti-carcinogenic properties and can offer protection against risks of cancer.
The catechins present in green tea can decrease the formation of free radicals in the body. This will help in the protection of cells from damage. These antioxidants present in green tea can have various benefits on one’s health.
1. Does green tea aid weight loss?
Green tea consists of various antioxidants, which are said to have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Green tea is also known to help with weight loss. It boosts the metabolic rate of your body. Apart from that, it is said to boost the burning of fats. However, there is not much clinical proof of it and the weight loss can be very small.
2. Why does green tea taste bitter?
There could be a number of reasons responsible for that. There is a high content of polyphenols present in green tea. Along with that, the caffeine content in green tea adds to its bitter taste. The taste of green tea also depends on the time and area of harvest.
3. How can I reduce the bitterness of my green tea?
It is recommended not to brew your green tea for over 3 minutes. Apart from that, you may add honey or lemon to reduce the bitter flavor of your green tea. Using loose-leaf green tea will tend to be less bitter since it releases lesser bitter properties. Also, try to drink your green tea while it is still hot. Hotter green tea tastes less bitter.
We think you are all set to prepare your own cup of green tea. By now, you must also be convinced how simple a task it was. Now it is time for you to quickly grab your green tea and water and make one hot cup for yourself and your close one.
Once you do, let us know how it turned out!
Whether you want to gain muscle sustainably, lose weight, or do both—Mirganshi is the person you reach out to! She has a B.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics from Lovely Professional University (LPU) and certification from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute (GGFI). She grew up and completed her schooling in Jaipur, Rajasthan back in the early 2000s. Currently, she helps hundreds of individuals in correcting their diets, lifestyle habits, and physical health.
She currently lives with her husband in Navi Mumbai, and they have been happily married since 2017. She is also a fitness freak herself and has completed several marathons like TATA Mumbai Marathon, Pinkathon, and more! In her free time, she likes to listen to music while writing her journal. Discipline is her best friend, and she ensures to impart this virtue in her clientele as well.
Due to her impeccable grip on body nutrition and well-being, Mirganshi understands precisely what is right for your body and recommends/reviews products she only truly has faith in. Mirganshi is also a champion for mental health advocacy and understands how keeping your brain fit and mind sane is an essential part of well-being.