The recent survey also highlighted the truth that dandruff affects more than 50% of people. This means the person next to you or your neighbour might be the ones suffering from dandruff.
Well, the next one can be YOU.
Do you know, 1 out of every 5-persons struggle with the problems of dandruff?
If an itchy and flaky scalp has been bothering you lately, this is an alerting alarm for you. Dandruff can also be symptomized with greasy scalp patches, dry skin, scalp fungus, tingling skin, etc.
While chemical products may worsen the problem, natural home remedies have been impressive with their results against dandruff and its issues.
Interested in exploring the best home remedies to treat dandruff? Check out some of the most effective natural home remedies to cure and get rid of dandruff.
10 Home Remedies to Treat Dandruff:
There are a lot of home remedies that can be used regularly to treat dandruff. The only concern is to use and mix the right ingredients in the correct measurements. The regular application of these natural remedies will free you from those disgusting flakes lowering your personality and confidence.
Here are 10 simple Home Remedies to Treat Dandruff:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular home remedies to treat dandruff and its following problems. Its acidic properties help to stimulate the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. Moreover, its regular use also balances the scalp’s pH level, thereby reducing fungus growth.
Before you use the product, be sure of the proper way of using it. There are certain steps to prepare the mixture for application, which are as follow –
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal parts and keep aside
- Apply and massage this mixture to your wet hair after washing
- Let it set on the hair for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off thoroughly
Remember – don’t apply apple cider vinegar excessively or every day on your hair. Repeat this process twice a week to get the best results.
2. Mehndi or Henna:
Henna or Mehndi is yet another effective home remedy for dandruff. It is useful as it helps to maintain the scalp’s moisture and to soften the hair naturally.
The steps to prepare mehndi are as follow –
- Mix mehndi, curd and a few drops of lemon juice
- Make a consistent paste and keep it aside for 7-8 hours
- Apply the mixture on clean scalp and hair
- Leave it on your hair for 2-3 hours and then wash it off
Repeat the process once a week to see a significant difference. The goodness of mehndi will smoothen your hair naturally to improve the texture and quality of the hair.
3. Lemon and coconut oil:
Coconut oil is a famous ingredient to enhance the nourishment of the scalp and hair. When mixed with the effectiveness of lemon, it becomes one of the best cures for dandruff.
The steps to mix and use the two ingredients are pretty simple to follow. Here are the instructions to follow –
- Take around 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and warm it a little
- Now, add and mix some drops of lemon juice in it thoroughly
- Apply and massage the mixture on the scalp for 20-25 minutes; if possible, you can keep it overnight as well
- Wash off your hair with a good natural shampoo
Repeat this procedure twice a week to get the best results against dandruff along with improving your hair quality.
If you are looking for an easy and effective remedy to treat dandruff, simply apply curd on your hair and scalp. Though it can get messy at times but it is totally worth it.
Procedure to follow when applying curd –
- Please take a good amount of curd and whisk it properly to avoid getting any lumps.
- Thoroughly apply curd on your scalp and hair
- Leave it for an hour and so followed by washing your hair with a good quality shampoo and conditioner
Use it once a week to say goodbye to those irritating flakes.
5. Fenugreek seeds:
It is popularly known as meethi seeds and is a very popular and trusted remedy against dandruff, right from ancient times. Besides treating dandruff, fenugreek seeds are good for controlling blood pressure levels, controlling appetite, regulating cholesterol levels, etc.
To get the benefits and visible results from fenugreek seeds, here are the steps to be followed –
- Soak some fenugreek seeds in water and keep them overnight
- Grind and make a paste of the soaked seeds
- Now, add some lemon juice to the paste and mix properly
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and hair and leave it for 30-40 minutes
- Wash your hair with a shampoo followed by a deep conditioning
You can try this remedy once in 10-15 days.
6. Neem paste:
Neem is a popular cure for dandruff and, thus, is used in many shampoos. Neem not only cures dandruff, but its antibacterial properties also help controlling allergies, fungus and other scalp problems.
Using neem paste on your scalp is quite easy. You just need to follow these steps –
- Take 7-8 fresh neem leaves and crush them to make a fine paste
- Apply the paste evenly on the scalp and hair
- Allow it to dry by leaving it for 10-15 minutes before washing
You can also use neem juice instead of neem paste. Follow this procedure once a week to get the desired results.
Not many people are aware of the goodness of vinegar when treating dandruff. It comes with its medicinal properties to treat fungal allergies on the scalp, improving health and quality.
Vinegar also helps in treating the itchiness on the scalp, which is a major problem of dandruff. Here are the steps to follow when using vinegar for dandruff –
- Take 2 cups of vinegar and boil it. Keep it aside to let it cool
- Once it is done, add 1/8th cup of water to get a smooth consistency of the mixture
- Now, apply the mixture to your scalp and hair
- Let it sit for 20-25 minutes and then wash it off thoroughly
You can repeat this twice a week or on the days you usually use shampoo. Its regular application will also reduce the dryness of the scalp.
8. Egg yolk:
Egg yolk is a rich source of biotin, one of the major vitamins needed to treat dandruff. Not just it removes dandruff, but it also conditions your hair to make them thick, shiny and glossy. One ingredient; many benefits.
Follow these simple steps to use egg yolk –
- Separate the white portion of the egg from its yolk
- Now, apply the egg yolk to your scalp and hair. Make sure to use it on a clean and dry scalp
- Cover your head with a shower cap or plastic bag (to avoid attracting dust and dirt) for 1-hour
- Wash off your hair thoroughly with a natural or herbal shampoo to remove the odour
You can apply egg yolk twice or thrice a week. You can use it even if not for dandruff, as it helps to make your hair smooth and shiny.
9. Banana with Apple cider vinegar:
The mixture of banana with apple cider vinegar is a complete package for your hair. It improves the hair quality, its texture – making it smooth, shiny and silky. The mixture is also beneficial for the scalp as it helps to cure itchiness, dryness and allergies.
Bananas are a rich source of vitamin B, which improves the blood circulation of the scalp to improve its quality. Apple cider vinegar, on the other hand, controls allergies and fungal infections.
Follow these simple steps to get the most from this mixture –
- Take 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar and 1 entire banana in a bowl
- Mix both the ingredients gently to form a thick and consistent paste
- Once done, apply this paste on the scalp and hair and let it dry for 20-30 minutes
- Wash your hair like normal with a good quality shampoo
Use this procedure once every 10-days.
10. Basil leaves:
The antifungal and antibacterial properties of basil leaves help to treat heavy dandruff. It also helps to make your scalp healthy, clean and stronger.
Follow these steps to get the best results –
- Take some basil leaves and grind them to get a fine paste
- Now, mix the basil leaves paste, 2 teaspoons of amla powder and the required amount of water to get a thick consistent paste
- Apply the paste on your scalp and hair, allowing it to sit for 20-30 minutes
- Wash your hair with herbal shampoo
You can use this mixture every alternate day to witness its magic. It will also strengthen the hair and control hair fall.
Treating dandruff can be a burden, but these simple natural home remedies bring the best benefits to reduce the effects of dandruff. Use any of these remedies to get rid of the irritating white flakes as soon as they occur.
Let us know which of the remedy suited you the best in the comment section. Also, please feel free to share any other effective treatment against dandruff. We all are together in this.
Whether you want to gain muscle sustainably, lose weight, or do both—Mirganshi is the person you reach out to! She has a B.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics from Lovely Professional University (LPU) and certification from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute (GGFI). She grew up and completed her schooling in Jaipur, Rajasthan back in the early 2000s. Currently, she helps hundreds of individuals in correcting their diets, lifestyle habits, and physical health.
She currently lives with her husband in Navi Mumbai, and they have been happily married since 2017. She is also a fitness freak herself and has completed several marathons like TATA Mumbai Marathon, Pinkathon, and more! In her free time, she likes to listen to music while writing her journal. Discipline is her best friend, and she ensures to impart this virtue in her clientele as well.
Due to her impeccable grip on body nutrition and well-being, Mirganshi understands precisely what is right for your body and recommends/reviews products she only truly has faith in. Mirganshi is also a champion for mental health advocacy and understands how keeping your brain fit and mind sane is an essential part of well-being.