Investing in a mattress calls for a lot of introspection. If you wish for a good night’s sleep, then you must figure what you want in advance. We all want to own a mattress that addresses our pressure points and lasts long enough.
Latex and memory foam mattresses are the go-to options for most shoppers. How to know what is best for you? So, in this article, I’ve listed the benefits of both latex and memory foam and compared them side by side.
By the end of this article, I am sure you will get to know your calling. Sounds good? Great! Then without further ado, let us get started!
What is a latex foam mattress?
I am sure you might have heard of a latex foam mattress. In case you have not, then do not worry. Here I will give you a detailed guide of the same.
A latex mattress is filled with latex, as the name implies. Latex is a material that is in high demand due to its organic nature.
The raw material used in the making of this mattress is naturally occurring. There is barely any chemical added to this mattress. Therefore, these mattresses are sustainable and do not harm the environment.
However, there are different types of latex mattresses. Some are constructed from synthetic materials whereas, other could have different manufacturing processes. The three primary types of latex mattresses are listed below –
Types of Latex Foam Mattress
- SYNTHETIC LATEX- Styrene-butadiene rubber is used in making them. Therefore, this provides the same comfort as natural latex mattresses at a lower cost. However, they are not long-lasting.
- BLENDED LATEX- The name gives away that it is a hybrid between synthetic and natural latex. It has 70 percent of synthetic latex and thirty percent natural latex. In durability, they lie in between synthetic latex and natural latex.
- NATURAL LATEX- The natural latex mattress is the real deal. It has everything you are looking for in a mattress. It is eco-friendly, long-lasting, soft, and will stay with you for a long time.
I am sure after reading this you now have an idea of what a latex mattress is. However, before buying you need to weigh down the pros and cons of buying a latex mattress. I have got you covered on that too!
Pros And Cons of Latex Foam Mattress
- Extremely comfortable – Latex mattress is known to provide ultimate support and comfort. It has a natural springiness due to the latex. Therefore, this gives a lighter feel and bounce.
- Durable – Mattresses are pricey. Therefore, you need to make sure that they last you long enough. Latex mattresses are one of the most durable mattresses in the market.
- Environmental friendly – Latex is derived from the sap of rubber trees. Therefore latex mattress is completely free of harmful toxins and chemicals. So, if you are looking for an environmentally friendly option, this could be a perfect option.
- Allergen-free – Natural latex is characteristically hypo-allergic. These are naturally resistant to dust mites, mold, and mildew.
- Air Circulation – Latex has an open-cell structure naturally. This makes it inherently breathable and stimulates air circulation. The open-cell promotes temperature-regulation and thereby aids in better sleep and comfort.
- Body Contouring – Latex mattress is known to have shape-sustaining features. It offers good body pressure distribution. It is an ideal choice for those who suffer from back pain or joint pain.
The latex mattress is also elastic. This also helps in proper spine alignment and cushioning. All these features prove detrimental in providing a snuggly sleep.
- Heavy – A latex mattress is relatively heavy than other mattresses. So, if you think this might be a problem for you then do not go for it.
- Expensive – Mattresses, in general, are expensive. But latex mattresses are even more costly. It is because the material is hundred percent natural. If you want, you can maybe go for the synthetic substitute.
- Firm – For some people, latex mattresses can be a little on the firmer side. It is so because they are designed to offer more support.
- Odour – Synthetic and blended latex mattresses can have an odour. This is because the chemicals used in it are releasing into the air. Natural latex mattresses do not have this odour instead it has a natural vanilla smell to it.
- Allergy – It is rare. But, still for those who suffer from severe latex allergies should avoid buying these.
What is a Memory foam Mattress?
Memory foam is built from a plastic polymer called polyurethane foam and other added substances. It is also known as viscoelastic foam.
Why is it called memory foam? Well, this is because this mattress is said to remember your body shape and favorable sleeping position. Hence, the name memory foam.
In this mattress, memory foam is merged with spring or support foam. Memory foam mattresses are temperature sensitive. So, they sink in according to your body pressure.
A memory foam mattress as previously mentioned is viscoelastic. This means that it has both elastic and viscous qualities. If you change your position often while sleeping then it might not conform to your shape so easily. Instead, it gives you a great sink-in feel.
Types of Memory Foam Mattresses
There are three types of memory foam mattresses –
- Traditional – This was the first-ever memory foam market. It has the viscoelasticity feature. Therefore, it tends to retain more heat and, you might have not the best sleep.
- Open-Cell – This mattress has an added feature that makes it more comfortable. It has small pockets or pin-holes which, stimulates airflow. Hence, less heat is retained by the mattress
- Gel – This type of memory foam mattress is infused with tiny beads of gel. This feature enhances airflow making the surface cooler and adds flexibility.
Now that you are aware of what the memory foam mattress is. It is time to figure out if it is the best fit for you or not. What better than evaluating the perks and drawbacks?
Pros and Cons Of memory foam mattresses
- Body-hugging – The viscoelasticity makes these mattresses body-hugging. It conforms and molds according to your body shape.
- Motion isolation – If one person moves while sleeping, the other would not feel a thing. Memory foam mattress limits motion transfer.
- Hypoallergenic – Memory foam mattresses are also hypoallergenic. So, there is less chance of allergies. They also keep mattresses free from dust mites.
- Pressure-Relief – Memory foam mattresses are known to alleviate pain and provide relief. It can be a good choice for side sleepers as it gives good support.
- Off-gas – Memory foam mattress is made of polymers, chemicals and other preservatives. Therefore, it releases gases in the air that might be toxic for some.
- Heat retention – Memory foam uses your body heat and then conforms accordingly. It retains your body heat and makes you ‘sleep hot’. Therefore, it might not give you the best sleep.
- Not Waterproof – Memory foam mattresses are not waterproof. This means that they absorb moisture and sweat. Therefore, they would not last you that long.
- A sink-in feeling – Some people complain that memory foam mattresses dip and sink in.
COMPARING LATEX AND MEMORY FOAM
|BREATHABILITY||Latex is more breathable.||Traditional memory foams do not promote ventilation.|
|DURABILITY||15 years||10 years|
|RESPONSIVENESS||It is more responsive.||–|
|PRESSURE-RELIEF||–||It provides pressure-relief.|
|OFF-GASSING||There is no off-gassing in natural latex mattress.||It is synthetic. So, off-gassing can be present.|
|MOLD RESISTANT||Latex mattress is resistant to mold infestations.||–|
|WEIGHT||Latex mattresses are heavier.||They are also heavy but not as much as latex mattress.|
|EXPENSIVE||Latex mattresses are more pricey because they are all-natural.||–|
|ECO-FRIENDLY||A natural latex mattress is eco-friendly.||Memory foam mattresses are not eco-friendly.|
What to take into consideration when buying a mattress?
It is imperative to evaluate before you splurge on a mattress. Several parameters will help you in establishing what you want. Here, check out this list I have curated –
This goes without saying. You should make sure the mattress you are looking for provides you with all the features but remains under budget.
If your mattress is too firm, it will not give you a comfortable sleep. So, make sure that it is medium-firm.
Everyone wishes to buy a mattress that provides them comfort. All of us have different preferences. As a result, you should check out many mattresses before deciding on one.
Buy a mattress that has an open-cell structure or is gel-based. This feature promotes ventilation and prevents heating.
This is one feature people generally overlook. Invest in a mattress that has at least 300-400 coil counts.
I hope this handy guide gave an idea about your preferable choice. Both latex and memory foam mattresses provide ample support and comfort.
There is a lot of debate about which one is better? I feel that answer to that question differs substantially from person to person. If I had to choose one, I would go for a natural latex mattress.
The natural latex mattress is environmentally safe and has less response time. It is also bouncy and cushiony. Therefore, that fits the best for me.
But, if you want motion isolation and better compression, then motion foam would be a great choice. It is also relatively cheaper than a natural latex mattress. So, it might fit your budget while providing you with a lot of features.
If you suffer from some muscular or joint pain, then you should ask your doctor. I am sure your healthcare provider will have a better suggestion to offer.
Let me know what you prefer and why? Buying a mattress is an exhausting task. So, think through and wisely compare all the options.
After completing this graduation in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Manipal University in 2013, Ankit began rummaging the current Indian market of technology and science. At apolloedoc, Ankit’s job profile consists of cumulating, researching, testing, and verifying products related to tech.
He has a knack for details and catches even the tiniest advantages and flaws that can make or break the product. Since last year, he has been writing for apolloedoc and has been our knight in shining armour when reviewing home appliances.
Ankit’s favourite pastimes consist of jamming onto his guitar with a couple of friends and constantly updating and learning new things! He is also a big-time pet lover and has a cute little pug named Oreo back in Chandigarh. He has bagged many achievements in his college by participating in multiple extracurricular activities.
Writing is something that comes to Ankit naturally. He has his own blog where he posts about coding languages and even provides coaching to students from 12th grade to 2nd year of college. At apolloedoc, Ankit beautifully showcases his knack for the written word by lucidly explaining information in an unbiased way.