You cannot afford to lack the essential vitamin for healthy bones and a better immune system, isn’t it?
Yes, you guessed it right. We are talking about one of the essential vitamins needed by the body for its normal and suitable functioning – vitamin D.
Do you know the deficiency of vitamin D can cause rickets, poor hair growth, and cancer risks along with weakening the immune system?
Luckily, we have a wide range of food items, for vegetarians that are rich in vitamin D to meet the daily requirements. Would you be interested in knowing?
Here are the top 10 vitamin D foods for vegetarians that can be trusted to provide the body with its daily need for this essential vitamin.
Best Vitamin D Foods for Vegetarians
All the dairy products, including milk, are good sources of calcium and vitamin D. One of the best benefits of consuming milk regularly is that you give your body many essential nutrients like protein, carbs, and fat along with vitamin D.
As milk is quite rich in many essential nutrients, it can be very helpful in improving the overall health of the users. Besides this, it can also help in preventing many possible health diseases, which otherwise would hinder in the proper physical and mental growth.
So, if you are lactose tolerant, then grab a glass of milk and give your body the essential vitamin D that it needs. You can also enjoy some nice and delicious summer smoothies and shakes, if you don’t want to have a plain boring glass of milk.
Nutritional value for whole milk with 3.25% fat:
- An 8-ounce glass of milk – offers at least 100IUs of vitamin D
Benefits of milk:
- Strengthen the bones by making them healthy
- Improves bone building and bone maintenance in the growth year
- Helps in the better absorption of calcium in the bones
- Regular consumption of milk can prevent frequent breaking of bones
- Vitamin D in milk helps in cell growth regulation
2. Crimini Mushrooms (Exposed to Sunlight):
The next food item that is rich in vitamin D for the vegetarians is none other than mushrooms. Not many people are aware of this fact that you can instantly boost the vitamin D consumption with Crimini mushrooms.
Mushrooms naturally produce vitamin D after being exposed to sunlight. The sun-exposed mushrooms effectively boost and maintain a balanced amount of vitamin D in the body. Along with vitamin D, these mushrooms also offer a good amount of fiber to the body.
If you often feel weak and tired that can be a sign of low iron level in the body. Crimini mushrooms can enrich your body with the required amount of iron to keep you active and energetic throughout. These mushrooms can also be trusted to improve vitality by enhancing the oxygen levels in the body.
Nutritional value of Crimini mushrooms:
- 100g of Crimini mushrooms – offers 1276IU of vitamin D
Benefits of Crimini mushrooms:
- Crimini mushrooms have low caloric value and thus controls the weight
- They improve metabolism and immune system
- These mushrooms also help in increasing fertility
- They are also rich sources of zinc and iron
- Frequent consumption can keep you younger for longer
- It also reduces estrogen dominance
Tofu is another great vitamin D food that can be trusted to boost the vitamin D consumption of the body. If you are frequent in consuming tofu, you can also enrich your body with a good amount of protein.
Other than fulfilling the requirement of vitamin D, tofu is also beneficial for several other health benefits that can ensure the body’s normal functioning. You can also rely on tofu to provide you with many essential nutrients like iron, calcium, magnesium and other amino acids.
To enhance its benefits for the people, tofu is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber content. This helps in improving the digestion along with effectively handling all the stomach related issues. You can either have tofu on its own or can add some it with some vegetables of your choice.
Nutritional value of fortified tofu:
- 100g of fortified tofu – offers 100IU of vitamin D
Benefits of fortified tofu:
- Improve heart health
- Improves digestion and deals with other stomach related issues
- Improves the functioning of the kidney
- Minimizes liver damages
4. Fortified Yogurt:
Do you like eating yogurt? Well, there is a piece of good news for you.
Fortified yogurt is one rich source of vitamin D that can fulfill your body’s requirements. Besides this, you can also get a good amount of protein from fortified yogurt. As a matter of fact, yogurt contains almost all the nutrients that your body needs for its normal functioning.
Fortified yogurt is also one of the simplest ways to balance and manage weight as it has very minimal caloric value. Overall, yogurt is quite rich in nutrients that can boost your health when consumed on a regular basis.
If you want to get the best benefits for your health along with effective protection against the diseases, make sure you choose the best-fortified yogurt from a reliable brand. Yogurt with probiotics can also be a good option to consider for getting the maximum health benefits.
Nutritional value of fortified yogurt:
- 100g of fortified yogurt – offers 52IU of vitamin D
Benefits of fortified yogurt:
- It supplies all the essential nutrients to the body
- It can also improve digestive health
- It can strengthen your immunity system and metabolism
- Fortified yogurt also helps in improving the heart health
Breakfast cereals are not just limited to making your breakfast super amazing and delicious but they are quite beneficial for your health.
Were you aware that merely a bowl of your breakfast cereal can help you get a sufficient amount of vitamin D?
Yes, you read that right. Your breakfast cereals are a rich source of vitamin D which also comes loaded with many other nutrients. It can be seen as a complete package for enhancing your health quality without causing any severe side effects to the users.
Breakfast cereals can clearly be one of the best choices that you can make to boost many nutritional benefits for your body and overall health. Moreover, there are hardly any side effects associated with these breakfast cereals and thus these can be consumed by anyone without any second thoughts.
Nutritional value of breakfast cereals:
- 100g of breakfast cereals – offers 332IU of vitamin D
Benefits of breakfast cereals:
- Low cholesterol levels
- its digest slowly which can reduce obesity
- It is an excellent source of protein and essential carbohydrates
- It is rich in fibers and thus helps in improving digestion
- It is also effective in weight management
How many of you tempt over a yummy cheese pizza? Well, certainly most of us.
But, are you aware that cheese not only enhances the taste of your pizza but it is also an excellent source of vitamins and minerals?
Just like the other dairy products, cheese is also one of the best sources of vitamin D. As a result, it can be trusted to enhance your health with its consumption. Also, it is a good source of protein which further extends its health benefits.
Other than vitamin D, calcium, zinc, vitamin B12, and riboflavin are some other nutrients that can be availed with the consumption of cheese. With the regular consumption of cheese, you can be sure to have better muscle build with a strong immune system. Now, wouldn’t you be eating more of cheese?
Nutritional value of cheese:
- 100g of cheddar cheese – offers 24IU of vitamin D
Benefits of cheese:
- Cheese can also have a positive impact on your dental health
- It is enriched in calcium, protein, vitamin B12, and other nutrients
- It improves the immune system and metabolism
- Helps in strong muscle build
7. Orange Juice:
If you are lactose intolerant, then it can really be difficult to rely on most of the dairy products to get your dose of vitamin D. So, does it mean that you have to lack this essential vitamin?
Well, no! You can use orange juice as an alternative to fulfill your requirement of vitamin D. Orange juice is a good source of vitamin D and calcium and thus can help to improve your health in the best possible way.
Mostly, orange juice is seen as a rich source of vitamin C but not many of the people are aware that it is also rich in potassium, magnesium and other antioxidants. You can also boost your immunity system along with cardiovascular health with the regular consumption of orange juice.
Nutritional value of orange juice:
- 1 cup of orange juice – offers 100IU of vitamin D
Benefits of orange juice:
- It can enhance heart health
- It is also effective in reducing inflammation
- Great Source of Vitamin D and C
- It improves the immune system with cardiovascular health
- It is enriched with antioxidants and other essential vitamins for improving the overall health
- It is also reliable for controlling and managing weight loss
8. Almond Milk:
If regular milk is not your thing, then you can also switch to almond milk as a preferable option to get your dose of vitamin D. Do you know, with just 1 cup of almond milk, you can fulfill nearly 20% of your daily need of vitamin D?
Other than this, the regular intake of almond milk can also benefit and improve the digestion strength of the body. Almond milk is also quite rich in protein and healthy fat content and as a result, can improve the overall health of the users.
While almond milk is rich in many essential nutrients, it has low fiber content. You can use any variety or flavor of almond milk but it is preferred to use one without any sugar. This enhances its benefits like balancing the weight of the users.
Nutritional value of almond milk:
- 1 cup of almond oil – offers 101IU of vitamin D
Benefits of almond milk:
- It is low in calories and thus manages the weight of the users
- It fulfills and offers many nutrients and vitamins to the body
- It strengthens the bones along with better functioning of the brain and heart
- It also prevents the risks of many health diseases
Just like your breakfast cereals, oatmeal is also one great source of vitamin D that can be totally trusted.
Not to anyone’s surprise, oatmeal is highly nutritious and thus offers many health benefits along with preventing man severe health problems. Its regular consumption can make some potential health benefits to be visible within no time.
Some of the best benefits of oatmeal include improved functioning of a healthy heart with reduced risks of heart problems. Oatmeal can also be trusted to improve your skin texture and quality with its regular consumption. Thanks to rich fiber content, it can also bring needed relief against constipation.
Besides its amazing benefits, it also is quite easy to cook and can be digested conveniently by everyone without facing any hassles. What more can you expect?
Nutritional value of oatmeal:
- 1 cup of oatmeal – offers 136IU of vitamin D
Benefits of oatmeal:
- Oatmeal can keep its user full for the maximum time and thus controls weight gain
- Help in weight management.
- It is rich in antioxidants and other essential nutrients for proper growth of the body
10. Soy Milk:
Last but not least, we have soy milk as one of the potential vegetarian foods that are rich in vitamin D.
Soy milk can easily be included in our routine because of high nutritional value. Other than vitamin D, it is also enriched with potassium, calcium, vitamin A and vitamin B12. Thanks to its high nutritional value, soy milk is also seen as valuable to prevent the risks of many health problems.
Soy milk is also used by many people to enhance their immune system and metabolism. As it is rich in fiber content, it helps in improving digestion along with keeping the cholesterol levels in control. Moreover, soy milk can also help its users control obesity which is one of the major causes of heart problems.
Nutritional value of soy milk:
- 1 cup of soy milk – offers 107-117IU of vitamin D
Benefits of soy milk:
- Use in Weight management
- Contains very little of healthy unsaturated fat content
- It can be trusted to strengthen the bones with suitable muscle growth
- Frequent consumption of soy milk can improve cardiovascular health
- It improves the functioning of healthy heart & brain
Getting enough supply of vitamin D is essential to keep your bones healthy. Along with all these foods, you can also get a good amount of this essential vitamin through sunlight. Vitamin D supplements are also a good option to include in your diet, if your daily consumption of vitamin D is not fulfilled.
If you have any other doubts or concerns related to the available vegetarian foods for vegetarians, then please do comment below. We will make sure to offer you the best helping hand to end all your confusion.
Whether you want to gain muscle sustainably, lose weight, or do both—Mirganshi is the person you reach out to! She has a B.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics from Lovely Professional University (LPU) and certification from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute (GGFI). She grew up and completed her schooling in Jaipur, Rajasthan back in the early 2000s. Currently, she helps hundreds of individuals in correcting their diets, lifestyle habits, and physical health.
She currently lives with her husband in Navi Mumbai, and they have been happily married since 2017. She is also a fitness freak herself and has completed several marathons like TATA Mumbai Marathon, Pinkathon, and more! In her free time, she likes to listen to music while writing her journal. Discipline is her best friend, and she ensures to impart this virtue in her clientele as well.
Due to her impeccable grip on body nutrition and well-being, Mirganshi understands precisely what is right for your body and recommends/reviews products she only truly has faith in. Mirganshi is also a champion for mental health advocacy and understands how keeping your brain fit and mind sane is an essential part of well-being.