If you struggle in the gym to build your body and muscles, then you would surely understand the importance of protein. But, do you know, not all the proteins are the same?
Yes, all the proteins are not the same when we talk about muscle building. Some are better than the others just like whey protein. Whey protein is one of the best options to choose amidst the many available names which come loaded with many essential amino acids and a quick absorption rate for instant results.
There are many analyses which highlight the importance of whey proteins in strengthening the muscles, weight loss, and muscle gain along with nourishing the body with all the essential nutrients and vitamins. It also offers many amazing health benefits to users.
No doubt, whey protein suits the muscle formation but are you aware of the basics of whey protein? Do you know what whey protein is and how it is made? If you are not aware but are interested in knowing, then you are at the right place.
We are here talking and mentioning all details about whey protein. Let us quickly go through what whey protein is and how it can be easily made for use.
How Whey Protein is made?
What is whey protein?
Before going deep with all the details related to whey protein, let s quickly invest some of the time to understand and know what exactly whey protein is. As whey protein is different from the other proteins, it is beneficial to be aware of the basics of this protein type.
In simple words, whey protein is a mixture of proteins that are isolated from whey and is the liquid part of the milk which gets separated during the process of cheese production.
In general, milk contains 2 different types of protein, which are:
- Casein; available in 80% quantity
- Whey; available in 20% quantity
Whey can easily be found in the milk’s watery portion. When you open a cart of yogurt and find some liquid floating on top that is the whey protein that we are talking about. During the production of cheese, the fatty parts of the milk are coagulated and then whey is separated from it as the by-product.
After this, the whey undergoes some essential steps to get converted into the convenient whey protein form which is often consumed by the people to fulfill their protein needs. Whey protein is generally of 3 types:
- Whey protein concentrate
- Whey protein isolate
- Whey protein hydrolysate
How is whey protein made?
Now, comes the main question which most of the people are interested in knowing, which is – how whey protein is made.
Here are the steps to produce the best quality whey protein to get amazing health benefits:
- Purified milk is obtained from healthy cows. Make sure that the used milk is pure and is of high-quality to get whey protein which can bring some great health benefits without any side effects.
- Generally, the milk obtained from the cow contains some harmful bacteria. Therefore, the obtained milk undergoes the process of pasteurization to get rid of the unwanted bacteria.
- As it is already mentioned that the whey protein is the by-product of cheese production, the pasteurized milk is then taken to the cheese manufacturing unit for further procedure.
- As the milk reaches the cheese manufacturing unit, it is once again pasteurized. This helps in removing all the unwanted and harmful bacteria from the milk.
During this step, the milk is heated at 70-80 degrees Celsius and then is instantly cooled at 4-degree Celsius. It has been observed that the bacteria cannot survive under extreme temperatures and therefore, this step is extremely important.
If the milk is not treated properly during this step, there are high chances that it might contain some harmful bacteria that can be fatal for the user’s health.
- Once the process of pasteurization is done, the milk now contains 80% casein and 20% whey concentration.
- After you have reached this stage, the pasteurized milk is then subjected to enzymes that help in separating casein and whey from one another.
As soon as the enzymes are applied to the milk, it gets divided into – solid part and a liquid part. The solid part is used as cheese while the liquid part of the milk is what contains whey along with fat and carbohydrates.
- In the next step, the liquid part obtained from the milk is again purified to remove fat, carbohydrate, mineral, and water to get pure whey concentration.
- This is the most crucial step in the formation of whey protein as it helps to get whey protein concentration. The liquid whey is loaded in huge stainless steel turbines with ceramic filters. This entire process is done in a natural and cold environment to get whey protein liquid after removing fat and lactose.
- After this, the obtained whey protein liquid is loaded in the dryer that contains the mixture of both hot and cold air in it. This helps in drying the water and to separate solid from the liquid concentration.
- Once this step is completed the end result is a whey protein powder which contains nearly 90% whey. During this step, it is assured that the whey powder doesn’t lose its nutritional value.
- The obtained whey protein powder is then tested for its quality. Also, as the powder obtained is unflavored, it is added into high-speed blenders to add some pleasant taste in the powder.
- Lastly, after the addition of the flavors to the whey protein powder, the powder is again tested for the final time. This assures that the final whey protein powder is absolutely suitable, safe, and nutritional for the consumption of the users.
It is after the final testing that the whey protein powder is packed in its required packaging for sales.
So, this is the entire process with which whey protein powder is made in its nutritional form for consumption. Every minor detail and precaution is taken during the formation of the whey protein so that the final product offers the best-expected health benefits to its users.
Benefits of whey protein:
Now when you are all aware of what whey protein is and how it is made, you surely would be excited to include it in your routine, isn’t it?
To ensure that you are investing in the right product, have a look at some of the benefits of whey protein. These benefits of whey protein will surely keep you motivated for regular consumption of the protein to gradually witness positive changes in your body.
- Whey protein helps in boosting your protein and BCAA intake
- Whey protein can also be trusted for gradual weight loss
- It helps in strengthening the muscles along with supporting muscle building
- Thanks to the anti-cancer properties of whey protein, it brings expected to aid in the treatment
- It also helps in lowering the cholesterol level in people
- It is also one of the trusted remedies to fight against cardiovascular diseases
- You can also rely on whey protein to keep your asthma and blood pressure under control
Aren’t these benefits tempting enough to make whey protein a part of your routine? If you have been delaying the consumption of this amazing protein supplement, then now is the time to get all these benefits for your health.
The negative side of whey protein:
Along with these numerous benefits, there are some associated cons with the whey protein as well. Here are some possible side effects that you can face with the excess consumption of whey protein:
- Stomach cramps and pain
- Reduced hunger
- Nausea and fatigue
It is, therefore, recommended to keep a check on the excess consumption of whey protein to avoid facing any of these health consequences.
Whey protein is undoubtedly one of the best and healthiest ways to fulfill the protein requirement of the body. A pure and reliable whey protein will easily get absorbed by the body to show some instant results.
If you are an athlete or someone regular in the gym, there can be nothing better for your muscle growth and strengthening than whey protein. Many health experts also recommend whey protein as a true companion to improve the health and muscle quality without compromising the nutritional value needed by the body.
So, when are you including whey protein in your routine? Please comment below, your experience with whey protein.
Whether you want to gain muscle sustainably, lose weight, or do both—Mirganshi is the person you reach out to! She has a B.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics from Lovely Professional University (LPU) and certification from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute (GGFI). She grew up and completed her schooling in Jaipur, Rajasthan back in the early 2000s. Currently, she helps hundreds of individuals in correcting their diets, lifestyle habits, and physical health.
She currently lives with her husband in Navi Mumbai, and they have been happily married since 2017. She is also a fitness freak herself and has completed several marathons like TATA Mumbai Marathon, Pinkathon, and more! In her free time, she likes to listen to music while writing her journal. Discipline is her best friend, and she ensures to impart this virtue in her clientele as well.
Due to her impeccable grip on body nutrition and well-being, Mirganshi understands precisely what is right for your body and recommends/reviews products she only truly has faith in. Mirganshi is also a champion for mental health advocacy and understands how keeping your brain fit and mind sane is an essential part of well-being.