Water purifiers have undoubtedly become an integral part of our daily lives that supply pure and healthy drinking water to every household. Mostly, there are two types of water purifiers available in the market which are electrical and non-electrical water purifiers. It is quite obvious that the usage of electricity is not only the difference between these two types of water purifiers. The major difference lies in the purification method between these two water cleaners. But apart from the implementation of electricity, there are other factors as well that act as differentiating factors between the two.
Differences between Electrical and Non-Electrical Water Purifiers
Below are the four factors that distinguish electrical water purifiers from the non-electrical ones.
1. The technology used for the Purification Process
Both of them have different types of purification techniques and systems installed in them. The majority of the electric water purifiers are loaded with reverse osmosis (RO) and ultraviolet (UV) systems. Electric water purifiers pass through the RO membrane and UV systems to kill the microorganisms present in the water. Whereas the non-electric water purifiers just contain sediment filter, activated carbon filter, and ultra-fine filter membrane.
RO electrical water purifier increases the pressure of the water that passes it through the RO membrane to eliminate the dissolved solids. UV water purifiers use electricity to produce UV radiation that removes the microorganisms and contaminants.
2. Incoming water Treatment
This is one of the most vital elements in choosing the best water purifier for your family. If the water in your area looks turbid, contains lots of impurities, includes a high percentage of minerals, then without doubt electric water purifiers are perfect for your home.
However, if the quality of the water is not that bad like the urban localities and the only concern in the water is the minerals than Non-electric water purifiers are the ones for you. Just keep in mind that the outgoing water quality is dependent on the type of water that gets inside to get treated by the water purifier.
Cost is another factor that determines the differentiation between non-electric and electric water purifiers. All the non-electrical water purifiers come at a much lower price than the electrical one. Among the electrical ones, RO purifiers without the UV system have a considerable cost than the others.
4. Different Types of Purification
Both kinds of water purifiers operate differently and eliminate different types of impurities. Non-electric water cleansers mostly work on the viruses, bacteria, and dissolved solids. Dissolved germs, chemicals, viruses, and other suspended matters are taken care of by the electric water purifiers. In the end, what matters most is safe and clean drinking water.
Electric water purifiers like RO get rid of the TDS and convert it from hard to soft water by passing through the RO membrane. Non-electric water purifiers’ uses water pressure or gravity for pushing the waters to purify it. The sediment filter in these types of water purifiers removes the sediments or other materials that stick to the bottom of the water tank. The water purifier with activated carbon filter removes the organic compounds, contaminants, pesticides, and chlorine. It also improves the taste and color of the water but is incapable of removing the dissolved solids.
The water purifier with the UF filter is incapable of removing the dissolved solids which makes the water saltier and harder. Non-electrical or gravity-based water purifiers cannot convert hard water into soft ones.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric water purifiers
To know more about the electrical water purifiers, let us have a look at their pros and cons.
Advantages of Electric water purifiers
- The best method for hard water treatment is Reverse Osmosis (RO) technology
- Removes the toxins like lead, arsenic, chlorine, and fluoride that are responsible for serious damages to the human body
- Lead can cause Brain damages and anemia which is removed from the drinking water by the electric water purifiers
- RO also improves the quality of the water around the lakes, rivers and public supplies by eliminating the Cryptosporidium
Disadvantages of Electric water purifiers
- These types of water purifiers also remove all the essential minerals like calcium, iron, sodium, and magnesium that are required for the body and may lead to their deficiencies also.
- UV technology only eliminates the microorganisms but do not flush out their dead bodies
- Takes a long time for the purification process
- Changes the taste of the water as all the essential minerals are removed from it and the process is known as De-mineralization.
- Membranes of the RO purifiers need to be changed frequently or at least once a year.
- Only one-fourth of the total water that has entered the system is fit for drinking. The other three fourth part needs to be thrown away.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Non-Electric water purifiers
After checking out the above benefits and drawbacks of the electric form of water purifiers, now it is time to look out for the advantages and disadvantages of the non-electrical water purifiers. They are described as below.
Advantages of Non-Electric water purifiers
- Activated carbon filters remove the pathogens and contaminants in the water
- Chlorine is eliminated by using ultrafilters and activated carbon filters
- Less expensive compared to the electrical ones and are ideal for rented houses where water purifiers cannot be wall mounted
- Efficiently get rid of organic compounds like herbicides and pesticides
- Due to the known application of electricity, these kinds of water purifiers also save money on the electricity bill.
Disadvantages of Non-Electric water purifiers
- Activated carbon filters cannot remove the microorganisms effectively like the UV electric water purifiers
- The activated carbon filter needs to be replaced frequently as the contaminants adhere to the carbon filter surface and reduce its capabilities for purification. The capacity and the life span of these activated carbon cores are dependent upon the carbon cores
- Heavy metals like arsenic, lead, and fluorides cannot be removed by this purifier
Comparison between Electric and Non-electric water purifier
The below table shows different comparison elements between electric and non-electric water purifiers.
|Electric Water Purifier||Non-Electrical water purifier|
|Types||RO and UV||Sediment filter, activated carbon and UF water purifier|
|What is removed||Dissolved solids or TDS, bacteria and viruses||Dissolved chemicals, suspended matters, sand, silt, germs and viruses|
|What is used||RO membrane and UV radiations||Activated carbon or charcoal, cellulose filter, Hallow fibers and cotton|
After the discussion of all the major differences between electrical and non-electrical water purifiers, you should be looking for the one which suits your category the best. As you have clearly seen, each one has its own exclusive features for purification. Thus which one will you prefer at your home is totally up to you!
Whether you want to gain muscle sustainably, lose weight, or do both—Mirganshi is the person you reach out to! She has a B.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics from Lovely Professional University (LPU) and certification from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute (GGFI). She grew up and completed her schooling in Jaipur, Rajasthan back in the early 2000s. Currently, she helps hundreds of individuals in correcting their diets, lifestyle habits, and physical health.
She currently lives with her husband in Navi Mumbai, and they have been happily married since 2017. She is also a fitness freak herself and has completed several marathons like TATA Mumbai Marathon, Pinkathon, and more! In her free time, she likes to listen to music while writing her journal. Discipline is her best friend, and she ensures to impart this virtue in her clientele as well.
Due to her impeccable grip on body nutrition and well-being, Mirganshi understands precisely what is right for your body and recommends/reviews products she only truly has faith in. Mirganshi is also a champion for mental health advocacy and understands how keeping your brain fit and mind sane is an essential part of well-being.