Whey Protein is a side product created in the cheese-making procedure. When you make the cheese, the liquid you strain away from the curd is called whey protein. You can enhance the qualities of the whey protein by dehydrating it. After dehydrating whey, you will have pure protein. Once you grind it up and make it into a powder, you might use it in the smoothies, scones, shakes, and cupcakes. Most people rely on these whey proteins to meet the daily requirements of the protein-rich diet and achieve particular fitness goals.
Whey protein is soluble in water, and you might implement it in the form of a protein supplement. You might find different whey protein powders in various flavors in the stores, but there is nothing like homemade and natural products. You can easily make whey protein powder at home with minimum effort. In this article, we are here to share the process through which you can make this rapidly at home.
Make Your Own Whey Protein At Home
Ingredients you will need for creating Homemade Whey Protein.
One of the most significant ingredients you will require to make homemade whey protein powder is organic and fresh milk. You can try it with cheese and yogurt, but the result will be a little inconsistent. You will also require a couple of lemons and add some flavours later, like cocoa powder or vanilla essence. Raw cocoa will help you to create a high carbohydrate sugar drink.
A requirement of the Equipment to produce homemade Whey Protein Powder
With hardly a few of the ingredients, you could easily make whey protein powder in your kitchen. You will require a 2-gallon large pot and a thermometer for the food. A lemon press will make it much easier to squeeze out the juice. You should also include a cheese strainer as linen cloth does not work too well in straining the liquid. Good food dehydrator will decrease the risk of burning or overheating the protein. After grinding, you will finally require a jar to store it.
Process of Making Whey Protein Powder
Now let us check out the entire process of making whey protein powder at home.
- Empty the required milk into a huge pot. You will need one gallon or 3.8 liters of milk. To get the best whey protein, use whole and grass-fed milk. Measure 4 cups or 950 millimeters of milk and 2 cups or 475 millimeters of cream.
- Now heat the milk to 83 degrees Celsius or 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Gauge the temperature by putting the cooking and food thermometer in the pot, and then lip it to the side. If you do not have a thermometer in your house, wait for the milk to begin simmering. The milk will begin to simmer at the above temperature. Remember not to let the thermometer touch the pan bottom.
- When the milk begins to simmer, add and stir five tablespoons or 75 millimeters of lemon juice. If you do not have any lemon at home, you can implement white vinegar instead. The final product will be almost similar in taste. You can also follow this recipe to produce ricotta cheese as well. If you want to eat cheese, white vinegar is the best alternative among these two. If you are implementing cream and milk, you can add three tablespoons or 45 millimeters of white vinegar or lemon juice and a half tablespoon or 8.5 grams of salt.
- Allow the solution to remain in one place by turning off the heat minimum for 20 minutes. Try to cover the pot with a tightly fitting lid and take off the solution from the burner, and set it to rest someplace so that it will not be interrupted. Leave it for some time as it is.
- After this, transfer the whey and curd into a bowl with the help of a lined strainer. Put an enormous strainer on the bowl top and line the strainer with a cheesecloth piece. Scoop the curds in the strainer with a ladle or spoon. Transfer the rest of the liquid into an enormous jar or pitcher, and store it inside the refrigerator.
- You have to drain out the whey protein from the curdles. It is best if you place the bowl inside the fridge for the step. It will require a minimum of two hours to drain out the whey protein, and we do not want to spoil the milk.
- Implement a dehydrator for processing the whey, if you have anyone. Pour the whey protein both from the bowl and the pitcher into the trays that come along with the dehydrator. You will require one cup or 240 milliliters per tray. You can process the whey according to the dehydrator instructions. The time for the dehydrators differs according to the brand, but for most of them, it will be 12 hours at 58 degrees Celsius or 135 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Process the whey protein manually if there is no dehydrator in your abode. Dispense all of the whey protein inside the pot and boil it over medium to high heat. Then lower down the flame to a steadier boil. You can cook it till it becomes clumpy and thick. Spread it evenly over the tray lined with the wax or parchment paper, and cool it off. Now, break them into small pieces and allow them to dry for more than 24 hours.
- Now grind the dehydrated whey protein powder into the powder. You might blend it in the mixer grinder or the food processor. If you have to manually process the whey protein, then look out if it still feels damp. If this is so, you have to spread it out again and dry it for 24 hours. After that, you can blend it into powder.
- Store the blended protein powder in the lidded container. A mason jar is simply a perfect container for this purpose. Mix this whey protein powder in your cupcakes, bread, protein shakes, and many more.
You can store homemade whey protein in the fridge for at least three months to four months. They will be free of any artificial additives or preservatives. You can now follow a protein-enriched diet anytime and anywhere in your home naturally.
Whether you want to gain muscle sustainably, lose weight, or do both—Mirganshi is the person you reach out to! She has a B.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics from Lovely Professional University (LPU) and certification from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute (GGFI). She grew up and completed her schooling in Jaipur, Rajasthan back in the early 2000s. Currently, she helps hundreds of individuals in correcting their diets, lifestyle habits, and physical health.
She currently lives with her husband in Navi Mumbai, and they have been happily married since 2017. She is also a fitness freak herself and has completed several marathons like TATA Mumbai Marathon, Pinkathon, and more! In her free time, she likes to listen to music while writing her journal. Discipline is her best friend, and she ensures to impart this virtue in her clientele as well.
Due to her impeccable grip on body nutrition and well-being, Mirganshi understands precisely what is right for your body and recommends/reviews products she only truly has faith in. Mirganshi is also a champion for mental health advocacy and understands how keeping your brain fit and mind sane is an essential part of well-being.