Maintenance of healthy weight of the body is quite challenging for most of us. Obesity is becoming one of the most concerning health issues all around the world these days. Thus most of us have shifted our attention to different weight loss diet alternatives. But there are other people also who are struggling hard to gain some muscle mass and are underweight.
Our article for today is primarily about gaining weight and its diet plan. Thus if you are a skinny person who is dying to gain some weight, we have got you covered. Keep reading to know more about an Indian diet plan for gaining weight.
Standard Measurement of the Body Weight
A person must not be defined by the bodyweight or their figure. But being skinny can be frustrating sometimes. Thus it is significant to create a clear concept about the perfect and medically approved healthy body weight range before beginning your weight gain journey. The standard bodyweight of an adult human being is determined by the Body Mass Index or BMI of a person. You can calculate very well your BMI by dividing the current body weight by height.
A healthy range of weight falls from 18.6 to 24.9 kg per sqm of BMI. When your body weight drops to 47 to 50 kgs that are nearly 15 to 20% below the perfect weight range, the BMI will go below 18.5, and the person will be underweight in this range. A decrease in body weight will also cause a decrease in BMI. The perfect weight and height of an adult female from 25 to 50 years age are 59 kgs and 1.68 meters, respectively. Such a human being should include 20.90 kg/sqm as her standard BMI.
Different Aspects to consider for Weight gaining diet
When the physicians or experts plan the perfect diet plan for skinny people, they generally keep the below aspects in mind about a specific individual.
- The ultimate goal for gaining weight
- Count of the calories
- Allergies from food
- Any ongoing supplement
- Present body weight
- Body Mass Index or BMI or Basal Metabolic Rate
- Any present health conditions
Food Items that help to Gain weight Easily
The most significant thing you need to consider as a weight gainer is a dense food or nutrition. Now let us take a very quick look into the food items that help to gain weight efficiently and safely below.
- Dry fruits
- Cereal bars
- Dark chocolate
Indian Diet Plan Chart for Weight Gain
If you want to be a proper Mass Gainer, your diet plan chart should consist of a perfect combination of ample proteins, healthy fats, and carbohydrates. So to help you with unlimited options for gaining weight through the food, we have shared the below alternatives made with the expert’s help.
Before breakfast early morning snack options (between 5 AM to 6 AM)
- One glass of milk with skimmed two teaspoon of milk powder, 5 to 10 pieces of overnight soaked almonds with peels, and whole two ripe bananas, OR
- One cup of cappuccino or tea full of full-fat milk and sugar, 6 to 7 pieces almond pieces with peel soaked for overnight, and two white portions of the eggs, OR
- A handful of sprouted black gram, 5 to 10 overnight soaked almond pieces with skin, and half bowl of Dalia with no sugar
Breakfast Options (Between 7 AM to 9 AM)
- Six pieces of toasted bread with two egg omelet, OR
- Two multigrain bread pieces with low-fat butter and omelet with one egg, OR
- 3 to 4 whole wheat bread toast slices with lots of peanut butter, one full egg omelet, and three egg whites, OR
- 1 to 2 toasted bread slices with 1 to 2 bananas and white butter, OR
- 1 to 2 cheese vegetable sandwiches with non-fat one glass milk, OR
- Any 2 to 3 seasonal fruits and one full glass of fresh fruit juice, OR
- One grilled chicken breast, one full glass of banana milkshake, one large bowl of wheat bran, corn flakes, oats. You can add any fruits to this also if you want. OR
- One oatmeal bowl with a few walnuts and almonds, one low-fat milk cup with a whey protein scoop, and one banana OR
- One plate full of Dalia khichdi/poha/upma with colorful vegetables, OR
- Two moong dal chilla with a paneer stuffing, OR
- One small vegetable bowl, two plain chapatis, OR
- Two vegetable stuffed paratha with white butter and one plain curd cup, composed from non-fat milk, OR
- Two sambar cups, one spoon of chutney, two masala dosas
- You can consume 1 to 2 sips of banana shake instead of your morning tea.
After Breakfast Mid-morning snack (between 10 AM to 11 AM)
- One seasonal fresh fruit and one full glass of coconut water/Plain lassi/buttermilk, OR
- One full glass fat milk with 3 to 4 tablespoon of any best health drink, OR
- A handful of roasted soybeans or almonds, 3 to 4 pieces of groundnut or dry fruit chikki, and a full glass of plain lassi, OR
- One glass of fresh fruit juice and one plate full of salad with two boiled potatoes, OR
- One orange or apple, two to three multiple whole-grain biscuits, and one green teacup, OR
Lunch (Between 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM)
- One small bowl of non-veg biryani/ pulav, one small vegetable bowl, one small paneer/egg bowl, one medium-sized chicken soup bowl or Sprout salad, OR
- two small plain rice bowls, one small moong, masoor, soybean, or chana dal/legume bowl, two medium-sized rotis with clarified butter, two small wet vegetable curry bowl, two medium-sized fish/chicken pieces, one small sweet curd/raita bowl, one plate of green salad, OR
- One small brown rice bowl or two whole wheat rotis, one medium-sized fish or chicken breast piece, one small mixed vegetable bowl, one small green chutney bowl, one salad plate.
Evening or Afternoon Snack (Between 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM)
- One cup of tea or coffee and four cream biscuits or cookies, OR
- One glass of seasonal fresh fruit juice, few nuts, OR
- One banana shake glass and two biscuits, OR
- One green teacup and a small mixed sprout salad bowl
Pre Dinner or Mid Evening Snack (Between 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM)
- One sandwich of whole wheat bread with three egg whites or steamed chicken, OR
- One medium-sized vegetable bowl/ chicken soup with butter, one vegetable sandwich with extra cheese or mayonnaise, OR
- 3 to 4 dry fruit or groundnut chikki, one grilled sandwich, OR
- One small bhel puri/upma and one handful roasted almonds/ chana/ soybeans, OR
- One seasonal fresh fruit and one low-fat yogurt cup, OR
- One to two boiled potatoes/ bananas and one glass of milkshake or fruit juice, OR
- One low-fat milk with a scoop full of whey protein
Dinner (Between 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM)
- One small brown rice bowl/ two whole wheat rotis, one small stir-fried vegetable bowl with baked potatoes, one small fish/ lean chicken piece, OR
- Three medium-sized Rotis with clarified butter, one small soybean legume/ moong, chana, masoor dal bowl, one small chicken/ fishbowl, one small curd bowl/ any other sweet dish, one small dry vegetable curry bowl
Late Night snack before Bedtime (Between 10:30 PM to 11:00 PM)
- One full glass of warm milk with a pinch of turmeric and raw honey, OR
- Half glass of skimmed milk with 1 to 2 teaspoons of whey protein, OR
- One skimmed milk with the nuts cup.
Things to note down about the Indian Diet Plan for Weight Gain
Discipline is the primary key to follow when it comes to this diet plan chart. Ensure that you will avoid every junk and processed food. But before starting this diet plan, you should note down the following things.
- The portion sizes and the diet plan will vary according to age, body, calorie, and gender. It also varies according to the individual.
- You should consult a certified and experienced dietician and nutritionist before beginning this diet plan.
- Alter it according to the workout schedule timing of the person.
- Always keep an expert in the continuous loop while executing the diet plan so that he/she can solve all your doubts and queries to let you enjoy the efficient and best results.
Tips to Gain more weight Faster
When you are following the above diet plan chart, you should follow the below expert tips as it will assist in reaching the goal successfully within a few months. The goals of weight gain should be restricted to 1.8 kgs of weight every month as anything excessive than that should be more harmful and temporary.
Concentrate on the Proteins:
Ensure that every meal includes the correct protein amount. Skinless chicken breast, lean meat, egg, dairy like milk and yogurt, fish like tuna and mackerel, legumes, pulses, seeds, tofu, sprouted beans, nuts, and many more assists you to create a well-toned muscle mass.
Eliminate the packaged or processed food:
Always try to ignore the packaged and canned food items. Keep yourself away from processed and fast food, cereal bars, and many more as they include tons of calories not required in this diet plan.
Develop a regular exercise routine for addressing your underweight problems in more comprehensive ways. Strength training will also help you to create more muscle mass with no difficulty.
Enhance Your Sleep:
Make sure that your body is at least getting 8 hours of sleep every day. It will give enough rest to the body and will allow it to perform with no hassle.
Drink Abundant water:
Never forget to consume a minimum of 10 to 12 glasses of water each day. This will be significant in maintaining a healthy and perfect body weight.
Enhance more Calories:
Increase the intake of calories every day by the addition of high-calorie and nutritious food items to this diet plan. These might include rice, pulses, olive oil, banana, vegetables, a portion of red meat, cereals, bread, nuts, dry-fruits, avocado, full-fat dairy products, and many more.
Include healthy fats:
Include healthy amounts and daily doses of fats that will offer you omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Select monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats from the leafy vegetables, salmon, olive oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, seeds, and many more.
Consume six meals in a day:
Try to eat more often by enhancing the meal number every day. In place of consuming three heavy meals every day, have a total of 6 meals, including three small and three big ones. You should include a heavy lunch, dinner, and breakfast meal plan, which should be nutrient-dense, rich, and heavy in calories.
Keep the stresses at bay:
Try to become stress and tension-free to accelerate the process of weight gain: practice yoga, meditation, exercises, and many more. Spend more time in your leisure time or have a relaxing bath in a Jacuzzi to remove all the stresses and tensions.
Keep a journal of the food you have consumed:
Always try to maintain a journal on every food that you have consumed till now. This will help you to keep track of the intake of the daily calorie, changing the body weight, and noticing the eating habits. It will also assist you in remaining motivated throughout the journey.
Indian Diet Plan vs. Supplements for weight gain
Weight-gaining supplements or protein powders have been dominating the fitness industry of India. These supplements are full of fats, proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamins. You can add them to regular shakes or water to consume. Most of these supplements claim to add weight and mass within a short period, but you should also consider the side effects related to these supplements. When you consume them beyond the suggested limit, it might lead to bad fat gathering in the body, which might cause some serious health problems like allergic reactions, breathing difficulties, muscle pull, kidney ailments, and many more. Before accepting any commercial supplements for weight gain, always consult your physician or doctor.
Maintenance of a healthy body is always essential to remain fit. Ensure to measure your body weight first to decide the ideal weight gaining requirements through the diet plan chart. A victorious weight gaining program consists of a beautiful blending of carbohydrates, healthy fats, and proteins. You should always include 300 to 500 calories more than your daily requirement in this diet plan to enhance your weight rapidly. But always talk to your physician or doctor before enrolling in the diet plan program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now let us take at some of the most FAQs that people have in mind before starting the diet plan for weight gaining. They are as follows.
How many calories should you include daily in your meal plan to gain more weight?
The total calorie intake is determined through the BMI. You have to enhance the calorie intake up to 500 to gain more mass. Also, make sure to improve your calorie according to the workout intensity and schedule.
Which fruits can enhance my weight?
High-calorie fruits that you should include in your diet plan to enhance your weight, like prunes, figs, dates, apricots, raisins, and more.
Will eating non-vegetarian food help in gaining weight?
No, this is a misconception that non-vegetarian food will assist in gaining much more weight. There are numerous vegetarian foods also that are much nutritious and healthier than the non-veg items that will assist in gaining more mass and weight.
Weight gaining will require a person to consume more calories with nutritious food and high-quality proteins. In this diet plan chart for weight gain, we have tried to incorporate as many high-standard protein sources as possible. Try out this diet plan and check out for yourself how quickly you can gain enough muscle mass and weight.
Whether you want to gain muscle sustainably, lose weight, or do both—Mirganshi is the person you reach out to! She has a B.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics from Lovely Professional University (LPU) and certification from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute (GGFI). She grew up and completed her schooling in Jaipur, Rajasthan back in the early 2000s. Currently, she helps hundreds of individuals in correcting their diets, lifestyle habits, and physical health.
She currently lives with her husband in Navi Mumbai, and they have been happily married since 2017. She is also a fitness freak herself and has completed several marathons like TATA Mumbai Marathon, Pinkathon, and more! In her free time, she likes to listen to music while writing her journal. Discipline is her best friend, and she ensures to impart this virtue in her clientele as well.
Due to her impeccable grip on body nutrition and well-being, Mirganshi understands precisely what is right for your body and recommends/reviews products she only truly has faith in. Mirganshi is also a champion for mental health advocacy and understands how keeping your brain fit and mind sane is an essential part of well-being.